Sunday, July 18, 2010

If you only do one thing, do it well.

I only know one baking recipe. Cupcakes! Thanks to my lovely mum and her secret recipe that I have known by heart 'depuis toujours', these always turn out as pure perfection. I can do variations on cupcakes. Cupcakes with lemon, with chocolate, without icing, without dairy.... But cupcakes it is. Ask me to bake anything else and I have to consult my friends Nigella, Jamie, Gordon and Delia, not to mention the antique Mrs Beeton book that is like a bible for all things you should know how to cook but can't quite remember the ingredients for....

I have baked these cupcakes in all the houses I have lived in, in ovens held together with tape, ovens that rattle, and ovens that needed a fire extinguisher at the ready. Always perfect. It's a science that has become more like an art. I rarely use the scales now. I know what the ingredients look like in their separate mesurements. I weigh with my hands, adding shakes of flour and squeezes of lemon if the texture is not familiar to me. I've recently added my own twist, a secret ingredient that makes them individual, delicious, unique and naughty. It has a kiddie-friendly counterpart too! :)


The problem is, I need more perfect recipes. I bet you have one. If you like, we can swop. Give me your 'DOT' ('Do One Thing') recipe, and I'll let you in on my secret.  ;)      L x 



2 comments:

  1. I can't bake for anything! But give me a pile of random ingredients, and I can whip you up a delicious meal. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your cakes while I was there. Thank you for making them for me, and teaching me your secret!

    ReplyDelete